Easy bin building:
– select a measure
– click on Show Me!
– pick the histogram
Tableau tries to create roughly 10 bins, adds a dimension for the bin to the dimensions list
can change bin size
Alternate for Bins (allows for reference lines on a histogram):
– Create a calculated field such as: INT([Sales]/100)*100-IIF([Sales]<0,100,0)
– Put Number of Records on Columns, calculated field on rows.
– Then can have calculated fields like: TOTAL(AVG([Sales])), TOTAL(MEDIAN([Sales])), etc.
– Will need to set Compute using to the calculated field.
Some stuff on bins & blends (might need this to pull off getting the percentile)
From Joe Mako:
BYO Bin calc:
INT([Value]/[Bin Size])*[Bin Size]-IIF([Value]<0,[Bin Size],0)
Manually choosing the number of bins/binning a dimension by a measure:
[loop category=”wikicontent” tag=”bins,bin,histogram,histograms”]
[field title] – Added [field date]
- [loop tag=”bins,bin,histogram,histograms” exclude=”this” relation=”and” compare=”not” taxonomy=”category” value=”wikicontent”]
- [field title-link][field thumbnail-link]